Friday, May 18, 2012

P52/Week 20: "Motherhood"

With a theme like "Motherhood," this photo ought to get your attention, or at the very least confuse you.


P52/Week 20: "Motherhood"

But, hear me out...

After 13 years of belonging to the wonderful demographic of 'mother,' there are already volumes I can write and photograph about motherhood. The tiny toes, the growing toes, the dandelion bouquets, the waist-high hugs, the butterfly kisses, the "I love you, Mommy"-s ...sigh...It's fantabulous.

But, one thing that strikes me over and over again as I venture through this world with my boys at my side, is how much they teach me to appreciate and to wonder.

As an example, history is one of those topics that I never found terribly appealing. Dates and names, right? But, as they grew to become more and more interested in the fascinating story of our world, I was only beginning to see it as a story.  Why did the Greeks believe in so many gods?; Were pirates trained fighters or did they just hack and slash?; Why did the vikings raid other countries?; What happened to the Celts or the Mayans or the Aztecs?

And it's only because I'm a mother that I could stand, just as interested as they, to watch a man bending iron and listen to him explain why blacksmiths were so important in colonial America.

It is a fascinating world out there and that's just one of the many, many things I've learned and appreciated only because I entered the world of motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your comments on my photography. I see this as a learning tool, so constructive criticism is welcome.