Friday, February 3, 2012

P52: Week 5 "Simplicity"

I've committed myself to participating in a photography project called Project 52, where each week there's a challenge to take a photo with a particular theme and enter it on the group Flickr site.

 
This week's theme for the Project 52 is simplicity. I was going through my week thinking about what I would do.... a simple cupcake that makes the boys so happy or the boys against a solid color, but brightly colored wall (makes me happy) were among my thoughts.

The boys have been taking various classes with a man named Ryan, who, it seems, can do just about any handicraft imaginable.  This week they learned leather working and he was talking about how amazing leather is as a material. It's versatility, it durability and its beauty all in such a simple package.  He started sanding a piece of antler that he wants to attach as a handle to the leather tankard he's making and I realized I had my shot.

I love the whole set up. He's sitting on a piece of sheepskin, wearing wool pants and next to him you can see the leather bag that he'd made for himself while in college and still uses years later. He's definitely a man with passion for his art and living from the land and that's why I love that my boys have the opportunity to learn from him.

I missed last week's challenge, which was, appropriately enough "imperfection." I nailed that one, hunh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear your comments on my photography. I see this as a learning tool, so constructive criticism is welcome.